American Family Insurance, also abbreviated as AmFam, is a private mutual company that focuses on property, casualty, and auto insurance, and also offers commercial insurance, life, health, and homeowners coverage as well as investment and retirement-planning products. A Fortune 500 company, its revenues were over $6.7 billion for 2008.
It should not be confused with American Family Home Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Munich Re subsidiary American Modern Insurance Group, Inc., or American Family Life Insurance Company of Columbus.
Maps, Directions, and Place Reviews
American Family Insurance's history began on October 3, 1927, when insurance salesman Herman Wittwer opened the doors of Farmers Mutual Insurance Company (not to be confused with the Farmers Insurance Group) in Madison, Wisconsin. At the time, the company's only product was auto insurance and its target market was farmers. Wittwer believed farmers presented lower risks than city drivers because they drove less often and not at all in the winter.
Over the years, Farmers Mutual expanded its market and product line to meet the changing needs of its customers. In 1963, Farmers Mutual changed its name to American Family Mutual Insurance Company to reflect its broader customer base.
American Family Insurance Toll Free Number Video
Companies of the American Family Insurance Group include:
- American Family Mutual Insurance Company (AFMIC)
- American Standard Insurance Company (ASIC)
- American Family Life Insurance Company (AFLIC)
- American Family Brokerage, Inc. (AFBI)
- American Family Insurance Company of Ohio (AFICO; Ohio subsidiary, companion to American Family Mutual Insurance Company)
- American Standard Insurance Company of Ohio (ASICO; Ohio subsidiary; companion to American Standard Insurance Company of Wisconsin)
- American Family Securities, LLC (AFS)
- Amfam.com Inc.(AMFAM)
- Homesite Group Incorporated
- PGC Holdings Corporation (General Insurance Companies "The General®")
American Family insurance products include: term, universal, and whole life insurance; personal and business auto insurance, personal umbrella insurance, home insurance; motorcycle, boat, motor home, snowmobile and car insurance; business liability key policy, and business policy package insurance; farm and ranch liability insurance; travel, trip cancellation, and global medical insurance
The American Family Insurance Group is based in Madison, Wisconsin, and as of 2011 had 4 regional corporate headquarters in Minnetonka/Eden Prairie, Minnesota; Saint Joseph, Missouri; Denver, Colorado; and Columbus, Ohio among others.
Below is a list of milestones in the corporate history of American Family Mutual Insurance.
- 1927 Farmers Mutual Automobile Insurance Company was founded on Oct. 3 in Madison, Wis.
- 1938 Both premiums and assets surpassed $1 million.
- 1957 Farmers Mutual began to offer sickness and accident insurance.
- 1958 Company introduced homeowners insurance and opened American Family Life Insurance Company.
- 1959 Farmers Mutual entered the computer age with the RAMAC 305.
- 1961 American Standard began sales.
- 1962 Company began to offer farmowners insurance.
- 1963 Policyholders gave final approval to change the company's name to American Family Mutual Insurance Company.
- 1969 American Family Financial Services opened.
- 1975 Commercial Lines was introduced. American Family became the fifth-largest mutual auto insurer.
- 1981 Assets surpass $1 billion. American Family became the fourth-largest mutual auto insurance company.
- 1985 American Family Brokerage, Inc. opened.
- 1986 American Family posted its first $100 million operating gain.
- 1992 Policyholders' surplus exceeded $1 billion.
- 1994 American Family rolled out its catastrophe trailer. The company ranked as the 11th-largest property/casualty insurer.
- 1996 American Family first appeared on the Fortune 500 list at number 403.
- 1997 American Family became the 10th-largest property/casualty insurer in the nation. Assets surpassed $8 billion.
- 2001 American Family Securities, LLC introduced variable products. Assets for American Family Mutual Insurance Company exceeded $10 billion.
- 2001 Furthers expansion into Utah and Idaho. American Family in 17 states across the U.S.
- 2002 American Family celebrated its 75th anniversary.
- 2003 American Family donated $10,000,000.00 towards construction of the future UW Children's Hospital, to be named American Family Children's Hospital.
- 2006 Furthers expansion into Washington State. American Family in 18 states across the U.S.
- 2009 Furthers expansion into Georgia. American Family in 19 states across U.S.
- 2012 American Family Insurance completes its acquisition of The General Insurance
- 2013 American Family Insurance completes its acquisition of Homesite Insurance
- 2016 Became the inaugural jersey sponsor of the 2017 MLS expansion team Atlanta United FC
In 2010, National Safety Council selected American Family Insurance as a recipient of its Teen Driving Safety Leadership Award. Through its "Teen Safe Driver Program," the company has provided, a video feedback program (using the DriveCam system) in which parents can watch the actual driving actions of their teens. The program was validated by scientists at the University of Iowa to produce a 70% reduction in risky driving behavior.
American Family Children's Hospital
On March 4, 2003, American Family Insurance announced a $10 million gift launching the campaign to create the American Family Children's Hospital at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics. From that initial gift, the amount grew by several millions more through employee, agent and additional corporate donations. The hospital opened for business in September 2007.
In 2007, and again in 2008, employees donated close to $1 million to United Way.
Source of the article : Wikipedia