The New-York Historical Society gives three book prizes annually. From 2005-2012 there was one award for American history. A second award was added in 2013 for children's history. A third award was added in 2016 for military history.
Maps, Directions, and Place Reviews
Barbara and David Zalaznick Book Prize in American History
The Barbara and David Zalaznick Book Prize in American History, prior to 2016 known as The New-York Historical Society American History Book Prize or simply the American History Book Prize, is an American literary award given annually by the New-York Historical Society for an adult non-fiction book on American history or biography copyrighted in the year of the award "that is distinguished by its scholarship, its literary style and its appeal to a general as well as an academic audience." The winner receives an engraved medal, $50,000 cash and the unofficial title of American Historian Laureate. The inaugural award was presented in 2006 for books published in 2005.
Date is year when books were published; the following year is when the award was given. Thus the inaugural award was given in 2006 for Team of Rivals published in 2005.
- 2005 Doris Kearns Goodwin for Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
- 2006 David Nasaw for Andrew Carnegie (biography of Andrew Carnegie)
- 2007 Daniel Walker Howe for What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848
- 2008 Drew Gilpin Faust for This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War
- 2009 Gordon S. Wood for Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815
- 2010 Ron Chernow for Washington: A Life (biography of George Washington)
- 2011 John Lewis Gaddis for George F. Kennan: An American Life (biography of George F. Kennan)
- 2012 Robert Caro for The Passage of Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson
- 2013 Andrew O'Shaughnessy for The Men Who Lost America: British Leadership, the American Revolution and the Fate of the Empire
- 2014 Jill Lepore for The Secret History of Wonder Woman
- 2015 Eric Foner for Gateway to Freedom: The Hidden History of the Underground Railroad
- 2016 Jane Kamensky for A Revolution in Color: The World of John Singleton Copley
Book About American History Video
New-York Historical Society Children's History Book Prize
The New-York Historical Society Children's History Book Prize was first award in 2013 for the best children's historical literature.
Gilder Lehrman Prize for Military History at the New-York Historical Society
The Gilder Lehrman Prize for Military History at the New-York Historical Society was first awarded in 2016 for the best book on military history in the English-speaking world.
Source of the article : Wikipedia